Friday, June 6, 2014

Red, White and Blue Trifle

With the 4th of July just around the corner I wanted to share a super easy and super delicious dessert with you that I made this past Memorial Day. If you read some of my other posts you may know that my husband and I are trying to eat better and while this dessert has a lot of fruit this is one for a day that we are feeling like indulging ourselves and those around us just a little... it is my "Red, White and Blue Trifle" and it may very well be my husband's new favorite dessert... I hope you enjoy!


Ingredients

1- Box of white cake mix as well as the ingredients to prepare your cake
Blue food coloring
16 oz- whipped topping
2- 3.4 oz boxes of instant cheesecake pudding
2 1/2 cups milk
1- Pint strawberries
1- Pint blueberries

How To

Prepare your white cake per the box directions and add in a few drops of the blue food coloring to get a nice blue color. Bake the cake per the box directions and then allow to fully cool. While your cake is cooling slice your strawberries and prepare your whipped topping mixture. Add two packets of 3.4 oz instant pudding into 2 1/2 cups cold milk and whisk out all clumps fold in 16 oz of whipped topping. Store in the refrigerator until ready to start layering. Once cooled cut your cake into small square pieces (I cut mine into about 2" or 3" squares) and then you are ready to start layering your trifle. I start with the whipped mixture, then cake, then sprinkle on some blueberries and layer in some strawberries. Make sure you are making the area around the edge of the bowl look nice as that is what everyone will see and what make this trifle so special. Top that with more whipped mixture and keep on layering. For the top of my trifle I cut some of the extra cake squares I had into thinner slices and used them to decorate the top but feel free to get creative and make a creation that you like! Store in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy. I wouldn't make this more than 1 day in advance and is really best the day of. ENJOY!

***If you try this recipe I would love to hear how you like it, and if you have any other recipes or DIY suggestions for me feel free to leave me a comment!***



2 comments: