Friday, May 23, 2014

No Bake Cookies (Protein Balls)


My husband and I have started a journey to eating healthier and exercising more. The transition hasn't been easy, however... some of the hurdles have been easier than I originally expected particularly with some foods. In about 9 weeks my husband is down 22 pounds and I am down... well... a few. I think all women will know about that jealousy we try to keep hidden when our men drop weight like it's nothing all while we are struggling to lose just a pound. I do feel much better which I am sure is a combo of working out and eating less junk and my body is on its way to being more toned so who cares about the number on the scale... right?

All of that to say I have been in a love hate relationship with desserts and "snacks" for years. I love chocolate like nobody's business and those little snack cakes... yeah I could probably go through a box a day. I thought that would be the hardest part of eating better but much to my surprise I have been able to come across some recipes that have at least mostly curbed my desire to eat a big hunk of my Mamaw's chocolate cake after every meal. Insert note... I absolutely condone splurging every once in a while... ENJOY LIFE PEOPLE!  These protein balls are a recipe that I actually heard about on a radio show (shout out to Rick and Bubba listeners) and then changed up the recipe a little to make it fit my family. Keep reading for my recipe... Click here for Speedy's original recipe.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups oats
1/3 cup honey (always use a local honey when you can)
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
As many dark chocolate chips (Don't be afraid to try dark chocolate, you might be surprised.) and as much shredded coconut as you would like


Directions

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a spatula until well combined. I like to use a little non stick cooking spray on the inside of my measuring cups, the bowl and my spatula to keep these sticky ingredients from raining on my parade. 

Once everything is well combined I spray a little non stick spray on my hands and get to rolling. I make my protein balls about the size of a ping pong ball and they are the perfect little go to snack. As long as you limit yourself to one or two a serving you are looking at about a 60-120 calorie snack.

When they are all rolled place them on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, let them sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours then enjoy! Store covered in the fridge. My kiddos absolutely love these little gems too so they would make the perfect after school snack, or in my case a screaming toddler "Mommy I'm huuungrry" snack. 

**If you try this recipe leave me comment and if you have any other suggestions for recipes or DIY projects let me hear those too!**





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe will give this one a go as it does not contain dates that so many do.

    ReplyDelete