Friday, June 27, 2014

Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce

Make a big pot and freeze for later!
What you need:

1 large can of tomato sauce (approx. 29 oz)
1 large can of diced tomatoes (approx. 28 oz)
1 large can of crushed tomatoes (approx.  29 oz) {I like to use the kind with Basil}
1 can of tomato paste (approx. 6 oz)
2 cups of water
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Optional:
1 pound ground beef (I use 80/20)
1 can of mushrooms
1 bell pepper chopped
1 medium onion chopped

How To:

If you chose to add meat, brown your meat first and drain. Then, put all ingredients (including any of the "optionals") in a big pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a shimmer and cook on medium to low heat for about 3 hours stirring occasionally. I will add extra water throughout out the cooking process as I feel it needs it. Yep... it is that easy! This recipe gives you about 4 "cookings" worth of pasta sauce so I usually use one the day I make it and then store the rest in freezer bags to freeze then thaw and use later. Remember... freezing makes eating homemade easier!

***If you try this recipe or have any additional tips and/or ideas please leave me a comment... I would love to hear from you!***


No comments:

Post a Comment